Wednesday 3 April 2013

Emergent & Partitioning of Numbers

 
This is a set of worksheets which are available in my TpT Store. It is designed to establish an understanding of Numbers and their Value. The idea can be used with any object but the aim is for children to see "the value" a number holds. 
 
Since most children understand the values of the numbers 1-4, I have included worksheets from 5-10. This is a sample of number 7. It has been designed to be used in conjunction with the ''hands-on materials " so the children can see what is happening to the number. I don't allow them to actually count the bears that are going into the cave. I simply sweep up a handful and quickly place them under the cave before any-one has time to 'count' them. Children can then draw the teddies or place a numeral in the cave. They must check their answers to get an understanding of what is happening to the number. The following sheet introduces the 'addition sign'. This is a great way to explore both concepts with young children. You will notice that the amounts have remained the same as this is an introduction and it is important to keep it simple, at first.
 
 
Also in the pack, are worksheets using various numbers to test out their knowledge.
This is a cut and paste ... my personal favourite!!


 If you think you could use these resources, please take a look at my TpT Store. They are available HERE.



2 comments:

  1. I love this activity - what a fantastic, hands on way to understand numbers.

    Casey
    Lifelong Learners in Prep

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love any math leson where you can use manipulatives to help students make sense of numbers.

    I love your blog and am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete